Over the weekend, Keith Richards was a surprise guest at Eric Clapton‘s Crossroads Guitar Festival in New York City, joining Clapton for a pair of songs. Keith played guitar and sang lead on the blues number “Key To The Highway,” and then announced, “Now we’re gonna rock it up!” With that, they launched into Chuck Berry’s “Sweet Little Rock and Roller.” Which got us thinking about all the great Chuck Berry covers that the Rolling Stones have put their spin on over the years. Here’s a few we’d love to see on the setlist for their upcoming string of U.S. shows.
- “Come On” – Released by Chuck Berry in 1961, the Stones covered it and released it as their debut single in 1963. It’s the lead track on their recently released compilation, GRRR!
- “Around And Around” – The B-side to Chuck Berry’s “Johnny B. Goode” in 1958, the Stones covered this one last year at their November 25 show at England’s O2 Arena; this is probably the most likely Chuck song to make their upcoming setlists. Hopefully a live recording of last year’s shows is forthcoming, but for now, you can check out their original studio version from their 1964 12×5 LP, or a raucous live version on 1977’s Love You Live.
- “Carol” – Originally a 1958 Chuck Berry single, the Stones recorded it as the B-side to “I Just Want To Make Love To You.” It was released on their U.S. debut LP, England’s Newest Hitmakers, and featured the late, great Ian Stewart on piano. Years later, they did a rocking live version that was released on Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out.
- “Little Queenie” – the B-side to Chuck Berry’s 1959 single “Almost Grown,” it’s another one that the Stones covered for Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out.
- “Let It Rock” – You’ll thank us for turning you on to this one, if you haven’t heard it already. Released by Chuck Berry in 1960, a legitimate recording by the Stones was extremely difficult to come by. That is, until 2011, when the Stones released Some Girls Live In Texas ’78 on CD and BluRay. It’s one of the best live documents of the Stones that you’ll ever hear.
Of course, nothing compares to actually seeing the Stones live, and if you’re lucky enough to live in a city where they’re performing this year, you don’t want to miss this show. Tickets go on sale for their concerts in Los Angeles, Anaheim, Boston and Philadelphia today (April 15). Get more info on the Stones’ tour and on-sale dates at their official website. And try your luck with our contest to win a pair of tickets to see the band in Vegas here.
— Brian Ives, Radio.com
Read More Music News On WCBSFM.com:
- Tom Petty Fans Held a ‘Vampire Walk’ to Celebrate His Birthday
- 5 Best Songs on Darius Rucker’s ‘When Was the Last Time’
- Watch Billy Joel Imitate Bruce Springsteen on ‘Kimmel’
- Eagles Share Live 1976 Version of ‘Hotel California’
- Elvis Costello & Bonnie Raitt Remember Tom Petty
- George Michael Celebrated in Nostalgic New ‘Fantasy’ Video