This Valentine’s Day is going to be big: six million people are expected to pop the question and 83 percent plan on giving their significant other a gift, according to the latest statistics from the American Express Spending and Saving Tracker.
How much will you spend on your significant other this year? $260 on average — up from $196 from last year.
- Men will spend an average of $272; women will spend $209.
- The most popular gifts include greeting cards (57 percent), flowers (32 percent) and jewelry (17 percent).
- Gift cards and cash are less popular gifts than last year.
Six million people are planning or expecting a marriage proposal for Valentine’s Day, up from 4 million in 2012
The average estimated cost of an engagement ring in 2013 is $2,410.
The total number of engagements planned or expected for 2013 remains steady at 14 million.
Valentine’s Day is going virtual – 62 percent of couples will utilize some form of technology or social media to share Valentine’s Day messages.
34 percent will send a text, and 33 percent will send a Facebook post
Also, Valentine’s Day may not be as important to your partner as you think: 30 percent of women in relationships think the holiday is overrated.
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- John Oates Gets Into the Christmas Spirit with New Single ‘Santa Be Good To Me’
- John Oates’ Top 10 Holiday Songs of All Time
- Win Tickets To See Bon Jovi At MSG
- Bob Dylan Will Provide Nobel Prize Speech, Still Won’t Attend Ceremony
- Stone Temple Pilots Pay Tribute to Scott Weiland One Year After His Death