Tips and Resources For Staying Safe During A Blizzard
‘Nemo’ the Blizzard is expected to begin blanketing the tri-state area by mid afternoon, with rates as high as 3 inches per hour in some places along with high winds!
Snow can be so heavy during a storm like this and causes a ‘whiteout,’ when all you can see in any direction is white snow.
Here are some tips to stay safe in the rough weather:
- Stay Inside – It’s tempting for the kids to go out and play in the falling snow, but it’s not a good idea. Blowing winds are cold enough to cause frostbite, and snowdrifts may hide dangers children might otherwise see.
- Prepare for power outages and blocked roads – Winds, ice and snow tend to bring down power lines. Make sure that you have candles, matches or lighters, a battery operated radio, and emergency food supplies and tons of blankets.
- Traveling in a blizzard is just not a good idea – Avoid driving altogether and if you are on the road during a blizzard, pull over and stay way off the road until driving conditions are safe again.
- Keep occupied for the night – Have some board games and a deck of cards on hand. Arts and crafts are always fun for the kids (especially if there isn’t any television to distract them) so make sure you have some of those supplies easily available.
- Stock up on shovels and snow removal equipment before the snow storm – You have some time this morning to prepare, so you may want to cover the windows and spaces around the doors to keep drafts at a minimum.
Make sure your cell phone is charged and preserve the battery early on today, just in case the power goes out.
Also, 11,000 injuries a year are blamed on shoveling snow, so wait until the heaviest snow is over, take it slow and bend your knees! (Click HERE to see the proper technique to shoveling)
If you live in the 5 boroughs, click HERE to type in your address and see the snow plow schedule! Find out when your street is expected to be plowed.
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- U2 Tour Manager Dennis Sheehan Found Dead in Los Angeles Hotel Room
- Cher Heads Up Marc Jacobs’ Fall 2015 Campaign: See Her Look
- Amy Schumer Tries To Defend Bill Cosby in the Court of Public Opinion: Watch
- ‘iZombie’ Recap Episode 11: Is This the Real Life?
- Paul McCartney Turned Down a Role on ‘Friends’