Big developments from FEMA yesterday on the 3 month anniversary of Hurricane Sandy.
They have DOUBLED the number of buildings in and around the city that are considered at high risk of flooding.
On the updated flood zone map, over 35,000 new homes are indicated as being high risk, mostly in south Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.
People whose homes are in the flood zone will have two years to elevate their buildings to protect them from surging seawater or begin to face huge spikes in their flood insurance premiums.
The increased premiums will be phased in over several years once the maps are adopted in 2015.
Click HERE to see the updated interactive map (and make sure you zoom in for all the new details).
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Watch Coldplay’s Chris Martin Duet with George Michael
- Axl Rose Recording a New AC/DC Album with Angus Young?
- Former Allman Brothers Band Members Play Butch Trucks’ Funeral
- Paris Jackson Sends Birthday Wishes to Brother Prince Michael II
- Amy Winehouse to be Commemorated with London Art Trail and Exhibit