Imitation Calamari NOT Finding It’s Way To Restaurants In New York
Plenty of foods are surrounded by urban legends, and for just a minute, we thought it may be time to add calamari to the list.
“Imitation calamari” has a shape and texture similar to the real thing, but its component parts are VERY different.
While calamari comes from squid, the replica was reported to be made of…hog rectum, otherwise known as “bung.”
An ocean conservation watchdog notes that “seafood fraud” occurs at shocking levels in major metropolitan areas, including 39 percent of the time here in New York.
The USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service denies the legal existence of “imitation calamari” and others have spoken out against this claim, including restaurants and distributors.
Read more about the big scare and reasons why we don’t have to worry by clicking HERE.
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Elton John Marries Longtime Love David Furnish: See The Photos
- Watch Paul Stanley Sing the Heck Out of the Folgers Theme in Lost Ad
- 2014 In Review: Weddings, Deaths & Final Acts
- Watch Stephen Colbert’s All-Star Goodbye to ‘The Colbert Report’
- 5 Things About ‘The Interview’ from Someone Who Has Seen It