Imitation Calamari NOT Finding It’s Way To Restaurants In New York
Plenty of foods are surrounded by urban legends, and for just a minute, we thought it may be time to add calamari to the list.
“Imitation calamari” has a shape and texture similar to the real thing, but its component parts are VERY different.
While calamari comes from squid, the replica was reported to be made of…hog rectum, otherwise known as “bung.”
An ocean conservation watchdog notes that “seafood fraud” occurs at shocking levels in major metropolitan areas, including 39 percent of the time here in New York.
The USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service denies the legal existence of “imitation calamari” and others have spoken out against this claim, including restaurants and distributors.
Read more about the big scare and reasons why we don’t have to worry by clicking HERE.
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- This Week In History: The Song That Trumped “Billie Jean,” “Come On Eileen”
- Jim Breuer Remembers The SNL Revival, Loving Show Business
- Jim Norton Has A Really Weird KISS Fantasy
- Prince, Warner Bros. Announce Partnership, ‘Purple Rain’ Reissue
- Watch the Trailer for ‘Jersey Boys’ Film Directed by Clint Eastwood