‘Top Gun’ In IMAX 3D Coming This February
“Tower, this is Ghost rider requesting a flyby.”
“That’s a negative Ghost rider, the pattern is full.”
The highest-grossing film of 1986 is back to please theater-goers one more time. But for this run, action fans will enjoy the dogfights and explosions in glorious 3D while women will lust over a 60 foot tall, 24 year old, shirtless, sweaty, volley ball-playing Tom Cruise, as Lt. Pete “Maverick” Mitchell. You see, producers weren’t satisfied just bringing the Tony Scott-directed film back to theaters, they went full throttle and blew it up to the jumbo-size IMAX format for a limited run beginning February 8.
To give you an idea how huge this film was, Top Gun was the best-selling video cassette ever. In addition to increased bomber jackets sales, Time Magazine reported Ray Ban Aviators sales soared 40% as a result of the film. Young men and women were so inspired that the Air Force and Navy saw an increase in recruitment. But a box office smash wouldn’t be complete without a spoof, 1991’s Hot Shots!, and a slew of video games.
In addition to the big screen showings, a special edition two-disc Blu-Ray set will hit stores February 19 featuring a 2D remastered version.
Chances are likely we’ll see fans lining up for the limited engagements. Let us know if, when and where you’re planning to attend.
According to the LA Times, director Tony Scott and Tom Cruise had met in Nevada to scout locations for a sequel. But with Scott’s death, it’s not known if producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Cruise will carry on.
– Jay Tilles, Radio.com
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Elvis Costello, Marcus Mumford, Jim James & More Put Their Stamp on Bob Dylan’s ‘Married to My Hack': Listen
- Listen: Prince Drops Two New Songs, ‘U Know’ & ‘Whitecaps’
- 6 George Harrison Albums to Be Remastered, Released in September
- Former Survivor Frontman Jimi Jamison Dead at 63
- Stream Robert Plant’s New Album ‘Lullaby and… The Ceaseless Roar’
- FYI: Confusing Dogs with a Puppet and a Bone Is Hilarious