Michael Stipe, The Edge & More Donate To Hurricane Sandy Relief
Michael Stipe is one of many fellow musicians, actors and designers participating in an auction from Re/Create New York for Hurricane Sandy relief.
Others participating include Kanye West, Anne Hathaway, Julianne Moore, Selena Gomez, Marc Jacobs, Kelly Osbourne, Chloe Sevigny, Kate Moss, Tilda Swinton, Skrillex, former New York Ranger Sean Avery, Dita Von Teese and Prince Albert II of Monaco.
Each item donated by a celebrity has a personal connection and is one of a kind, as well as autographed. The former R.E.M. frontman (and NYC resident), for example, is donating tape cassette sculptures, made of solid bronze with a silver nitrate finish. Many others donated fashion-related items, from Nikes and movie props to lingerie and ball gowns.
Meanwhile, U2 guitarist The Edge is making his own efforts to aid in Hurricane Sandy relief. His newly-launched Music Rising initiative will donate an initial $250,000, and will continue to accept donations to help fund the rebuilding of music programs in the tri-state area. More info can be found at Music Rising’s website.
Music stars have aided Hurricane Sandy relief in a number of ways in the months following the super storm, with the 12-12-12 Concert chief among the charity efforts.
- E.J. Judge, WCBS-FM New York
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Paul McCartney Talks Video Games with Jon Stewart: Watch
- Madonna Denies Supposed Album Leak As Stolen ‘Unfinished Demos,’ ‘Form of Terrorism’
- Lorde, Skrillex, Rick Astley & Many More Attempt to Write the Greatest Song Ever: Watch
- Craig Wayne Boyd Wins Season 7 of ‘The Voice’
- Denver the Guilty Dog Strikes Again: Holiday Version!
- Sting Sought Childhood Memories as Inspiration for Broadway Role