The shoot took place last summer, when Miley brought her band together to perform some of her favorite songs in a casual outdoor setting.
It was probably pretty easy for Miley to get permission to record one of Dolly’s biggest hits, since Dolly happens to be Miley’s godmother.
The bandmembers on “Jolene” include drummer Stacy Jones, pianist Mike Schmid, guitarists Jamie Arentzen and Jaco Curaco, and bassist Vashon Johnson.
Miley has a gutsy voice that fits beautifully with strong country material like this. In additional Backyard Sessions songs, she also does a fantastic job covering the 1970 hit “Look What They’ve Done To My Song” by folksinger Melanie Safka, and the 1950 song “Lilac Wine,” which you might know thanks to a 1994 cover by Jeff Buckley.
The recording quality on all three videos is as strong as the song selection.
– Linda Lee, 99.5 WYCD/Detroit and Kurt Wolff, CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Watch Coldplay’s Chris Martin Duet with George Michael
- Axl Rose Recording a New AC/DC Album with Angus Young?
- Former Allman Brothers Band Members Play Butch Trucks’ Funeral
- Paris Jackson Sends Birthday Wishes to Brother Prince Michael II
- Amy Winehouse to be Commemorated with London Art Trail and Exhibit
- Stream the 2017 Brit Awards Online Today