The shoot took place last summer, when Miley brought her band together to perform some of her favorite songs in a casual outdoor setting.
It was probably pretty easy for Miley to get permission to record one of Dolly’s biggest hits, since Dolly happens to be Miley’s godmother.
The bandmembers on “Jolene” include drummer Stacy Jones, pianist Mike Schmid, guitarists Jamie Arentzen and Jaco Curaco, and bassist Vashon Johnson.
Miley has a gutsy voice that fits beautifully with strong country material like this. In additional Backyard Sessions songs, she also does a fantastic job covering the 1970 hit “Look What They’ve Done To My Song” by folksinger Melanie Safka, and the 1950 song “Lilac Wine,” which you might know thanks to a 1994 cover by Jeff Buckley.
The recording quality on all three videos is as strong as the song selection.
– Linda Lee, 99.5 WYCD/Detroit and Kurt Wolff, CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Frankie Valli in Studio with Scott Shannon
- Rolling Stones Share New Track ‘Hate To See You Go’
- Foreigner’s Mick Jones to Release Official Band Biography
- Bruce Springsteen Wrote a Song For ‘Harry Potter’ That Was Never Used
- Green Day Down to Play Desert Trip in 30 Years
- Bon Jovi Hits Broadway to Play New Album