See Every Rolling Stones Tour Documented In Interactive Maps
It’s no secret that the Rolling Stones are one of rock’n’roll’s most well-traveled bands. While there’s documentation in the form of countless live albums and tour films, a new interactive map project has individually documented each tour stop of every Stones tour through A Bigger Bang (2005-2007) (so all of them except their five 2012 shows).
Interactive data visualization company CartoDB has put their advanced map tools to work with this new original project documenting 50 years of the Stones’ live shows. The company digitally scoured Wikipedia for information on each Stones tour, starting with their first British tour in fall 1963. The result is a series of interactive maps that show each tour’s route and show date, and overall, portrays the Stones’ ascent as one of the world’s biggest live bands. The tours start out fairly small but soon grow elaborate, and by A Bigger Bang - the second-highest-grossing tour of all-time – is a downright maze. Zoom in, zoom out, be amazed.
The information culled from the project isn’t much more than the dates, locations and a fact or two about each tour, but for historian types or those interested in a cool visual experience involving the Stones, this project is worth checking out.
“By connecting where each tour took place we not only got to see how the Stones grew in prominence globally,” the company says (via Mashable). “But also the distance traveled for each tour, and correlations between tours and promoting a new album.”
- Jillian Mapes, CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- More #ALSIceBucketChallenge Videos, Now with a Man on Fire + Homer Simpson
- Aerosmith Takes the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge on Stage in Texas
- ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic Spoofs Theme Songs of ‘Mad Men,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ at Emmys: Watch
- The Very Definition of “The Spins”: Paratrooper’s Line Fails During Training Jump
- Billy Crystal’s Somber Tribute To Robin Williams Among Emmy Highlights
- It’s A Bird! It’s A Plane! It’s A $3.2 Million Superman Comic Book!