Dave Grohl’s ‘Sound City’ Rock Doc To Debut At Sundance: Watch The Trailer
Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl has announced that his documentary film (and directorial debut), Sound City, will launch at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, scheduled for January 17-27 in Park City, Utah.
The movie is a loving look back at the now-shuttered Sound City recording studio of Van Nuys, California, and the many artists who’ve recorded classic albums there, including Fleetwood Mac (Rumours), Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Elton John, Neil Young, Cheap Trick, Metallica and more. Grohl himself is part of the studio’s storied past, with Nirvana recording their legendary 1991 album Nevermind there. And the film includes interviews with many of them.
“As a first-time director, I am humbled to be able to share my passion for songwriting and storytelling with this incredible cast of legendary musicians, as seen through the extraordinary story of America’s greatest unsung recording studio, Sound City,” Grohl said in a press release. “Being included in this group of artists is a true honor, and the Sundance Film Festival is the perfect place to premiere a film about craft, integrity, and passion for art. I am over the moon!”
After releasing a series of video teasers, the film’s producers have revealed the official full-length movie trailer, encapsulating the studio’s historical importance, as well as its eventually demise, in no small part due to the emergence of digital and computer-based recording techniques. Watch below.
Grohl was most recently part of the star-studded tribute to Led Zeppelin during this year’s Kennedy Centers Honors ceremony, playing drums on Zeppelin classics “Rock and Roll” and “Black Dog.”
–Scott T. Sterling, CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Eddie Money Helped Support A Broke Bon Jovi With Cold Cuts
- Taylor Swift & Beyonce Are Among Forbes’ 100 Most Powerful Women
- Paul McCartney Actually Played ‘Temporary Secretary’ & Sang with Dave Grohl Over the Weekend
- Neil Young Premieres Tracklist, ‘American Gothic’-Inspired Album Artwork of ‘The Monsanto Years’
- Watch a Previously Unseen TV Interview with Jerry Garcia
- B.B. King’s Daughters Allege He Was Poisoned, Lawyer Says That’s ‘Ridiculous’