Cyndi Lauper Loses Uncle in Hurricane Sandy
Less than a week after superstorm Sandy tore through New York, the city and surrounding communities are starting to rebuild. But tales of tragedy continue to flood the newswire. The latest involves Cyndi Lauper, whose uncle joined the growing list of Sandy victims.
Spinner reports that 90-year-old George Stathis was found dead in his Queens, NY home while Lauper was in Chicago.
“He was old. He didn’t want to leave his house,” Lauper says. “…I called and said [to relatives], ‘Why did you guys leave him,’ and they just didn’t think it was going to get that bad.”
As of November 5, the death toll is reported to be at 117, with 48 occurring in New York and 24 in New Jersey.
Lauper was also affected by the Nor’Easter which hit the east coast this week when her book signing for Cyndi Lauper: A Memoir in New Jersey was cancelled.
the instore at Barnes and Noble in new Jersey is cancelled do to another big storm. please stay safe and don't drive in it. thanks x cyn—
Cyndi Lauper (@cyndilauper) November 07, 2012
– EJ Judge, Fresh 102.7 New York
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Yep, That’s U2 Busking in the New York City Subway
- Fan Beats Security And Somersaults Onto Home Plate Like A Real Winner
- Watch Jimmy Fallon and Jack Black Redo Extreme’s ‘More Than Words’ Video for Some Reason
- The Moral of Giorgio Moroder’s New ‘Deja Vu’ Video with Sia: Don’t Date Italian Men
- Today’s Weather Forecast with John Elliott: May 5, 2015
- E! Planning Bruce Jenner Specials After ‘Keeping Up with the Kardashians’