Hendrix At 70: “He’s The Ultimate Rock Guitar Player” – Def Leppard
November 27th marks 70 years since the birth of Jimi Hendrix, the man who changed electric guitar and rock and roll forever. Throughout November, CBS Local will remember the legendary musician’s life and career.
We recently spoke with Def Leppard about Hendrix, and guitarist Phil Collen called him “the ultimate rock guitar player, the most amazing guitar player of all time.” Singer Joe Elliott, meanwhile, marveled at Hendrix’s abilities not only through the amp, but also on the mic.
In the above video, Joe Elliott references their cover of Hendrix’s “Manic Depression.” If you’re wondering where that’s from, don’t look in Def Leppard’s discography. Elliott and Collen had a side project called the Cyberauts, with bassist Trevor Bolder and drummer Mick “Woody” Woodmansey (both from David Bowie’s Spiders From Mars band). Their cover of “Manic Depression” is on their 2001 EP The Further Adventures Of The Cybernauts. Collen has also covered Hendrix’s “Fire” with his other band, Man Raze.
— Brian Ives, CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Joan Jett And The Blackhearts Performing At CBS-FM’s Saturday In The Park – August 22
- Lionel Richie’s ‘Hello’ Music Video Without Music is Unsettling and Creepy
- The Human League’s ‘Don’t You Want Me’ Has Too Many Words
- Smokey Robinson to be Honored By Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Today’s Weather Forecast with John Elliott: July 31, 2015
- Win Tickets To The Premiere Of “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.”