Preparing For ANOTHER Storm: The Latest Closings, Subway Updates and Garbage Pickup
As we prepare for another coastal storm today, get the latest updates on the subways, park closings and the reason why your garbage bags are most likely still sitting in front of your home!
First, the latest on the Subways:
- The L and G trains are expected back up later this week, with the latest time being Saturday
- The Rockaways will not have A-train service for at least to month, which is an upgrade from the timetable of “a few months” given over the weekend
- The Coney Island terminal in southern Brooklyn used by B, D, N and Q trains remains without power with no timetable set
- The South Ferry terminal station on the 1 line at the southern most tip of Manhattan is nearly dry but needs extensive inspections and repairs.
All New York City parks, playgrounds and beaches will close from noon today to noon Thursday due to the Nor’easter heading this way.
Mayor Bloomberg has not called for an evacuation of coastal areas but urges residents to be careful.
Governor Chris Christie warns that high winds may mean some residents who regained power will lose it again, and the wind will also slow efforts to restore power.
Garbage pick-ups in neighborhoods not affected by Hurricane Sandy are going to be reduced so sanitation crews can be re-directed to those areas ravaged by Sandy
Collections of three times a week will be cut to twice weekly, while those on a two-a-week schedule will be cut to a single pick-up per week.
Street sweeping and recycling have completely been put on hold in the outer boroughs because the two major recycling plants are both on the waterfront and are in the middle of recovery efforts.
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- New Apps Let You Sing with John Lennon, Sit with Paul McCartney
- Beth Stern And The Story Behind Yoda The Miracle Cat
- Morrissey Storms Off Stage in Poland After Heckler Makes Him Feel ‘Unsafe’
- Comedian’s Celebrity Impressions While Stuck in Traffic Are Spot On
- This Looks Safe: Man Builds Backyard Motorcycle Swing FTW