As we try to pick ourselves up after the devastation of Sandy, more progress is being made! Get caught up on the latest, including the latest on the NYC Marathon and what’s opening and closing!
The latest developments around the city:
- Con Ed announced on twitter and their website late yesterday that most of Manhattan will have power restored sometime today or Tomorrow!
- The Statue of Liberty will be closed “indefinitely” because of Sandy.
- Look out for dumpster divers! Dozens of lower Manhattan residents frustrated with no power turned to garbage bins of restaurants, and have come up with $40,000 of pricy “fresh” food.
- The gas crisis should ease up shortly, with electricity returning and tankers now cleared to reach stations in the 5 boroughs. Most stations will be re-fueled by the end of the day tomorrow.
- If your pet is injured or in need food or medicine, the ASPCA has set up distribution centers in Queens, with the largest being at York College.
- Local Churches in South Brooklyn are taking donations of canned food and clothing to immediately send over to those suffering in Staten Island. The largest collection is being held at the gym of St. Bernadette’s school on 13th avenue in Dyker Heights starting this morning
Apple’s iPad Miniis available for the first time today, and this could be the first time the Apple store on 5th avenue does NOT have a line wrapped around the block.
The tech site Mashable found just one person waiting in line late yesterday afternoon!
Apple says the mini will go on sale as planned this morning starting at 8, but admits they had to go get their employees because of the travel problems caused by Sandy
As of now, The ING New York City Marathon will go on as scheduled Sunday:
- Contingency plans are in place, with runners taking busses to the starting line on Staten Island since ferry service and some subways aren’t running
- The course will be rerouted away from storm-damaged areas, but we will not know of the course changes until later tomorrow.
- Tonight’s Marathon Opening Ceremony and fireworks show at Central Park is cancelled
- There will be no refunds for runners who pull out of the race because of Sandy, but they will automatically get a spot in next year’s marathon.
There’s a big debate happening on whether the marathon should go on as scheduled, we want your opinion:
More Sandy Photos:
- Hurricane Sandy: “Frankenstorm” In Photos
- EVERYONE Waiting For A Bus To Go Into New York City
- The Damage Levied By Hurricane Sandy
- Heartbreaking Images Of Breezy Point After Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Hits Hard On Staten Island
- People Doing Everything BUT Stay Inside During Sandy
More Sandy Content:
- Chopper 23 vs Sandy – Amazing Staten Island Aerial Rescues
- Hurricane Sandy: Musicians Take To Twitter
- Recovery Mix: Songs To Help You Clean Up After Sandy
- Picking Up the Emotional Pieces After Sandy
- Sandy Recovery Begins
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- GRAMMY Nominations Behind the Scenes: Lorde Takes a Bow, Arsenio Fires Back at Kanye
- And the GRAMMY Nominees Are: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar and Justin Timberlake
- GRAMMY Nominees 2014: The Full List
- This Week In History: The Beginning Of Elton John’s Greatness & More
- KISS, Nirvana Lead Fan Ballot For Induction Into Rock Hall