Ways To Pick Up The Emotional Pieces After Hurricane Sandy
The wind and rain are gone, and some of us have electricity back. But the emotional impact of Hurricane Sandy will be with us for a long time.
Dan and Deb talk about the advice from expert Wendy Maitland:
- Talk about your feelings. Anxiety, fear, anger and depression are common with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.
- Don’t isolate yourself. Be with people!
- Remember that things are *not* normal because the situation isn’t normal. Don’t expect to feel one way or another. Everyone handles things differently and needs that space to feel however it is they feel.
- With the kids: try to keep as normal a routine as possible. As we’ve been telling you, they pick up on *your* anxiety and fears!
- Let your children talk and you listen. Drawing is good, too. Reassure them that you love them and that you’ll take care of them. Hugs help, too!
Sesame Street has a GREAT hurricane kit to help you along with your children after the hurricane!
More Sandy Photos:
- Hurricane Sandy: “Frankenstorm” In Photos
- 21 Photos Displaying The Damage Levied By Hurricane Sandy
- 30 Heartbreaking Images Of Breezy Point After Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy On Staten Island
- People Doing Everything BUT Stay Inside During Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Is Raining All Over Barack Obama
More Sandy Content:
- Two Kids Dance “Gangnam Style” In Superstorm Sandy [92.3 NOW]
- Hurricane Sandy: Musicians Take To Twitter [92.3 NOW]
- Recovery Mix: Songs To Help You Clean Up After Sandy [Fresh 102.7]
- Netflix Streaming Suggestions If You’ve Been Stranded By Sandy [92.3 NOW]
- Picking Up the Emotional Pieces After Sandy [WCBS-FM]
- Sandy Recovery Begins [WCBS-FM]
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- This Week In History: Wham! And ‘Make It Big’
- Interview: The National’s Matt Berninger on Closeted Indie Rock Deadheads
- Listen to Michael Jackson’s Unreleased Song, ‘Slave to the Rhythm’
- Will U2 Fans Have To Wait Until 2015 to Hear the Band’s New Album?
- Bruce Springsteen’s ‘High Hopes’ Documentary Is Coming to HBO