Sandy Recovery: Trains Begin Running, Carpooling In Manhattan And More Openings/Closings
The 5 boroughs are slowly recovering from the aftermath of Sandy, and today brings major progress on the rails. 14 of 23 subway lines have limited service this morning!
Here’s what you need to know:
- There will be no service in Manhattan below 34th Street because there is still no power
- A “bus bridge” with 330 free buses is set up in Brooklyn at the Jay Street, Barclays Center and the Hewes Street stations – these busses will take you over the Manhattan and Williamsburg Bridges to midtown
- The 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, A, D, F, J, L, M, N and R lines will run EVERY 10 MINUTES STARTING NOW
- The 3, 7, B, C, E, G and Q Trains, Franklin Avenue and Rockaway Park shuttles are NOT running today
Better grab a couple of pals if you want to get over the bridges today! Mayor Bloomberg has announced that city bridges would be open only to cars with three or more people
The rules will apply from 6 am to midnight for the rest of the week but no word on what will happen next week.
Con Ed says Power outages will continue in most of lower Manhattan until sometime Friday or Saturday.
About 220,000 customers south of 36th Street are still in the dark.
More Sandy-related openings/closures:
- Most Queens and Brooklyn Public Library locations will be open today
- The only locations remaining closed are the Brighton Beach, Coney Island, Flatlands, Gerritsen Beach, Gravesend, Jamaica Bay, Kensington, McKinley Park, Hollis, Howard Beach, Middle Village and Sheepshead Bay branches
- The Wildlife Conservation Society announced that the Prospect Park Zoo is reopening today and the Bronx Zoo is reopening on Saturday.
- Unfortunately, the New York Aquarium in Coney Island was hit with extensive damage and will be closed for a long time – The fish are being relocated to other local aquariums
More Sandy Photos:
- Hurricane Sandy: “Frankenstorm” In Photos
- 21 Photos Displaying The Damage Levied By Hurricane Sandy
- 30 Heartbreaking Images Of Breezy Point After Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy On Staten Island
- People Doing Everything BUT Stay Inside During Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Is Raining All Over Barack Obama
More Sandy Content:
- Two Kids Dance “Gangnam Style” In Superstorm Sandy [92.3 NOW]
- Hurricane Sandy: Musicians Take To Twitter [92.3 NOW]
- Recovery Mix: Songs To Help You Clean Up After Sandy [Fresh 102.7]
- Netflix Streaming Suggestions If You’ve Been Stranded By Sandy [92.3 NOW]
- Picking Up the Emotional Pieces After Sandy [WCBS-FM]
- Sandy Recovery Begins [WCBS-FM]
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Win Dinner Aboard Spirit Cruises
- The Persuasions Say Jamie xx Didn’t Ask to Use Sample on New Song, Later Denied
- U2 Worried Their Tour Was Already Over When The Edge Fell Off the Stage
- Jon Bon Jovi Wrote a Song for Rutgers Grads: Watch
- Bill Murray Will Wish You a ‘Very Murray Christmas’ This December