Nile Rodgers Gets The Best Birthday Card Ever
Nile Rodgers is a well-liked guy. As the leader of Chic, he’s responsible for some of the biggest hit singles ever, including “Le Freak” and “Good Times.” And as a producer, he’s helmed records by Madonna, David Bowie, David Lee Roth and Mick Jagger. So, it’s no surprise that he has a lot of famous friends, many of whom sent him video or voicemail messages to celebrate his 60th birthday.
He’s posted two separate videos on his website, each compiling birthday wishes from Paul Simon, Quincy Jones, film director Brett Ratner, guitar god Steve Vai, American Idol alumni Adam Lambert, Soundgarden’s Chris Cornell, hip-hop star Q-Tip, dance music duo Daft Punk, John Taylor of Duran Duran, the B-52’s and Steven and Maureen Van Zandt (Little Steven says Rogers is “My favorite four-letter word: funk!”).
Watch both of the videos here.
Reaching 60 hasn’t been a guarantee for Rodgers: in 2010, he was diagnosed with cancer. He started a blog, Walking On Planet C, to document his battle with the disease. One of his latest posts is “Happy To Be Alive On My Birthday.” Last year, Rodgers published his memoirs, Le Freak: An Upside Down Story of Family, Disco, and Destiny. His most recent production was on Lambert’s song “Shady” from his Trespassing album, which came out earlier this year. He is reportedly working with Daft Punk on their next album.
— Brian Ives, CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- How to Download Apple Music
- ‘Ghostbusters’ Director Reveals New Proton Packs, Uniforms
- Marshawn Lynch Jumped Backwards into a Pit of Skittles on Conan O’Brien
- Julia Roberts Goes Vigilante in ‘Secret in Their Eyes’ Trailer: Watch
- Freddie Mercury Gets a Good Laugh at Kanye West’s Cover of ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’
- Good News AC/DC Fans, You Can Now Stream The Band’s Catalog on Apple Music