Steely Dan’s Donald Fagen Talks New Song “I’m Not The Same Without You”
Donald Fagen is planning to release his new album Sunken Condos on October 16th, but prior to its release, the Steely Dan member is giving fans a sneak peek by offering up a stream of “I’m Not the Same Without You.” Very reminiscent of past Steely Dan singles (most notably “Deacon Blues”), the new single features a smooth-funk beat layered behind vocals telling a story of failed love and persistence to bounce back.
Fagen tells Rolling Stone, “‘I’m Not the Same Without You’ is a gloss on those anthemic tunes in which the singer tells a story about how she’s going to make it through a recent breakup and bravely carry on. I say ‘she’ because I’m thinking of songs like Gloria Gaynor’s ‘I Will Survive’ or ‘These Boots Are Made for Walkin” by Nancy Sinatra.” He continues, “In ‘I’m Not the Same Without You,’ the narrator not only survives but rapidly evolves into something a bit more than human – at least in his own mind.”
Stream “I’m Not The Same Without You” here. Sunken Condos is Fagen’s 4th solo album.
- Carl Harp / 98.5 WNCX
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Boston Announces ‘Heaven on Earth’ 2014 Summer Tour
- Search Team May Have Found Malaysia Airlines Plane’s Door
- Closing In On 80 Years Of Age, There Is Still No Stopping Frankie Valli
- The Allman Brothers Band Open Their Final New York Residency at Beacon Theatre
- This Week In History: Wham! And ‘Make It Big’
- Interview: The National’s Matt Berninger on Closeted Indie Rock Deadheads