Roger Waters has just been added to the already star-studded “Love For Levon” tribute concert, celebrating the career of former Band drummer/singer Levon Helm. The show, which will feature performances by Gregg Allman, Warren Haynes, Joe Walsh, John Mayer, Lucinda Wiliams and Eric Church, will raise funds for Helm’s family, so that they can keep his home, barn and studio, as well as continue his legendary “Midnight Rambles” concert series.
Waters, who just wrapped up a huge three-year tour where he performed Pink Floyd’s The Wall every night, will be playing in relatively stripped-down surroundings. Coincidentally, the one time when Waters performed with Helm was at Waters’ one-off performance of The Wall in Germany on July 21, 1990: at that concert, Helm and his Band-mates Rick Danko and Garth Hudson collaborated with Sinead O’Connor on “Mother,” and they backed up Van Morrison on “Comfortably Numb.”
Interestingly, a press release announcing Waters says he “is the final artist announced to join (the) tribute to his friend Levon Helm.” However, there will certainly be speculation about other guests: Helm played in Ringo Starr’s first All-Starr Band in 1989, and Starr recently posted a downloadable version of “Up On Cripple Creek” from that tour, so he could certainly be a last minute guest. Bruce Springsteen, who performed “The Weight” at an E Street Band concert after Helm’s passing could also be a surprise addition: his tour has a few weeks off in early October.
The Love For Levon concert will take place October 3 at New Jersey’s Izod Center.
Get more information on the concert here.
— Brian Ives, CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Watch this Gorilla Dance to Michael Sembello’s 1983 Hit ‘Maniac’
- Janet Jackson’s Producer Shares Update on Motherhood & Music
- Guns N’ Roses Keep Fans Waiting, for a Good Reason
- Snoop Dogg, Carrie Underwood, Mary J. Blige, Ice-T, Others to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- John Singleton Slams Tupac Movie ‘All Eyez On Me’
- Chris Cornell’s Passion for Human Rights Honored by George Clooney, Ryan Gosling, More