“If they’d told me back in the ‘60s that we’d be doing this in 2012 I would’ve said, ‘You’re crazy,’” Wilson said in a statement. “There’s a special chemistry between the five of us. We love each other, and it comes out in our music, in our harmonies.”
It’s also visible on their new DVD, Doin’ It Again, which highlights performances from their international reunion tour and interviews from this year. The band will also release two new greatest hits collections (Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits: 50 Big Ones) on October 9, as well as remastered 12 studio albums on September 25.
As for the DVD, out August 28, it captures the band in the studio making their 29th album, June’s That’s Why God Made the Radio. It also contains never-before-seen-footage from the “Good Vibrations” recording sessions from way back in 1966.
On the DVD (as in recent concerts), the remaining members — Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, David Marks and Bruce Johnston — pay tribute to founding members Carl and Dennis Wilson. Dennis drowned to death in 1983, while Carl passed away in 1998 after losing his battle with cancer.
Fans may not have to depend on just the greatest hits compilations and DVD for more Beach Boys goodness. When CBS Local caught up with Wilson earlier this summer, he confirmed that there’s likely another new Beach Boys to come. Speaking about his hopes for the next Beach Boys album, Wilson told us, “We’d like to capture the Phil Spector rock’n’roll beat. Get that rock’n’roll going, you know?
Watch the trailer for the upcoming DVD below.
– Shannon Carlin & Jillian Mapes, CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ Jacket & Ruffled Shirt set for Auction
- The Beatles Debut New Cirque du Soleil Video for ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’
- Aerosmith’s Joey Kramer Talks World Tour
- Deadlines Set for Prince Estate’s DNA Protocol Ruling
- Pink Floyd Studio for ‘The Wall’ Torn Down for Luxury Apartments
- John Mayer, Bob Weir Duet on Dead Classic ‘Friend of the Devil’