Joe Walsh & Ringo Starr: Bandmates, Brothers-In-Law
The thirteenth incarnation of Ringo Starr‘s All Starr Band concluded their Summer tour with, as the Beatles‘ classic goes, “a little help from my friends.” The Lennon/McCartney penned tune was the closing number for Ringo’s final show on Saturday (July 21) and joining him on stage was friend and former All-Starr Band members Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton and Gary Wright, as well as Jeff Lynne and Monkee Micky Dolenz .
Though many accomplished musicians accompany Starr on stage, the spotlight is never off of the affable legend for long, even if it means poking fun at his own songwriting. “When I wrote those words, ‘You were in a car crash/And you lost your hair,'” Starr said in reference to “Don’t Pass Me By,” his first solo composition with the Beatles, “I thought, ‘Watch out, Lennon and McCartney!'” Ringo’s star-studded rendition of “With a Little Help from My Friends” capped a two-hour show which had people on their feet instead of in their seats for most of the night.
Joe Walsh played in the first two All-Starr Bands (as well as Starr’s short lived late-’90s backing band, The Roundheads), and these days, is Ringo’s brother-in-law. He says that the first All-Starr Band was one of the greatest groups he’s ever played in. The second All-Starr Band, which featured fellow Eagle Timothy B. Schmit, was a great experience as well. And as huge of an experience as playing with Ringo was, being a part of the Starr family is even more of an eye-opener.
Joe Walsh is currently touring for his latest solo album Analog Man (which features Ringo guesting). His other band — The Eagles — have two dates coming up September 1 and 2 in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
– E.J. Judge, WCBSFM New York and Brian Ives CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Joan Jett And The Blackhearts Performing At CBS-FM’s Saturday In The Park – August 22
- Lionel Richie’s ‘Hello’ Music Video Without Music is Unsettling and Creepy
- The Human League’s ‘Don’t You Want Me’ Has Too Many Words
- Smokey Robinson to be Honored By Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Today’s Weather Forecast with John Elliott: July 31, 2015
- Win Tickets To The Premiere Of “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.”