The revival of arguably New York City’s most iconic music club continues with the making of a new film based on CBGB’s. Several roles have been cast in the film, including that of Blondie frontwoman Debbie Harry, who will be played by Malin Akerman. Akerman will also appear in Rock of Ages, the Broadway play adapted for film starring Tom Cruise, which will hit theaters in just under three weeks on June 15th.
NME reports Rupert Grint will move on from the role of Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter series to play Cheetah Chrome, the guitarist for Dead Boys. Chrome and the Cleveland, Ohio based punk band moved to New York City in the 1970’s and played a prominent role during CBGB’s rise with their outrageous live performances.
Filling the role of the club’s founder and owner Hilly Kristal will be Alan Rickman. Rickman was also a part of the Harry Potter cast with Grint, playing Severus Snape, but has had a long career playing parts in movies like Die Hard and Michael Collins.
The CBGB name has been making headlines recently, with new owners looking to reopen the iconic music club and the start of an annual music festival based here in New York City. The four-day festival starts on July 5th and will showcase over 300 bands at around 30 locations in New York City and Brooklyn.
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Win Tickets To See Barry Manilow At Nassau Coliseum
- Win Tickets To See Pat Benatar At St. George Theatre
- Win Tickets To See Straight No Chaser at PNC Bank Arts Center
- Enter To Win Tickets To See The Zombies at Town Hall
- Win Tickets To See The Zombies & A Copy Of The Book “The Zombies 50th Anniversary of Odessey & Oracle”
- Pink Floyd Open to Glastonbury Reunion