Dozens of musicians were influenced by or fans of the Beastie Boys and they are likely all feeling the loss of Adam Yauch, who died on Friday at age 47.
Last night at the Hollywood Bowl Coldplay, perhaps not a band you would automatically associate with New York hip hop, surprised fans with an amazing tribute to MCA. The guys performed a very Coldplay version of the Beasties signature hit, “(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party).”
Martin cracks a smile, and the crowd gets especially loud, near the end of the song when the line, “mom you’re just jealous, it’s the Beastie Boys,” comes up. Martin repeats it twice and ad-libs a tender ending of, “and so we’re sending all our love to the Beastie Boys.”
Bean, KROQ/Los Angeles
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Billy Joel Wears Star of David in Rare Political Statement
- Deed to Eleanor Rigby’s Grave Hits Auction Block
- My Name Is Prince Exhibit to Include Clothes, Guitars & More
- Freddie Mercury Biopic ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ Cast Revealed
- Watch Bonnie Tyler Perform ‘Total Eclipse of the Heart’ with DNCE
- U2 Fans Get Cryptic Letter in the Mail: Is New Music Coming Soon?