Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration… he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage… We appreciate all the love and support and concern.
From his daughter Amy, and wife Sandy
Helm’s former bandmate, Robbie Robertson, sent thoughts and prayers out to him from the stage of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony over the weekend.
Helm was first diagnosed with throat cancer in the late ’90s. He recovered, but for his first few years after that, he played drums in his performances, but didn’t sing. In 2004, he started singing again, albeit with a more hoarse voice. In recent years, Helm’s “Midnight Rambles” at his home in Woodstock, New York, have become a large draw both for music fans and musicians: he’s been joined on stage at his Rambles by Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris and Dr. John, among others.
– Brian Ives, CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- This Week In History: The Beginning Of Elton John’s Greatness & More
- KISS, Nirvana Lead Fan Ballot For Induction Into Rock Hall
- Peter Gabriel Remembers Nelson Mandela: ‘It Leaves an Enormous Hole’
- Inside The Music Of ‘Inside Llewyn Davis’: A 1960s Folk Primer
- Weekend Activities: A Night At The Museum, MTA Nostalgia Trains And More
- Mr. G’s Weekend Forecast: A Transition To Much Colder Weather