Levon Helm In Final Stages Of Cancer
Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration… he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage… We appreciate all the love and support and concern.
From his daughter Amy, and wife Sandy
Helm’s former bandmate, Robbie Robertson, sent thoughts and prayers out to him from the stage of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony over the weekend.
Helm was first diagnosed with throat cancer in the late ’90s. He recovered, but for his first few years after that, he played drums in his performances, but didn’t sing. In 2004, he started singing again, albeit with a more hoarse voice. In recent years, Helm’s “Midnight Rambles” at his home in Woodstock, New York, have become a large draw both for music fans and musicians: he’s been joined on stage at his Rambles by Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris and Dr. John, among others.
– Brian Ives, CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch Could Be Yours For $50 Million
- ‘David Bowie Is’ Exhibition Gets Documentary, U.S. Debut
- New Album from Janet Jackson is Coming Soon
- Listen to Smokey Robinson & Elton John’s Update of ‘Tracks of My Tears’
- Brian Eno Compares Israel to KKK, Faults U.S. for Not Intervening
- Posthumous Album of Robin Gibb’s Final Recordings Coming in September