Levon Helm In Final Stages Of Cancer
Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration… he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage… We appreciate all the love and support and concern.
From his daughter Amy, and wife Sandy
Helm’s former bandmate, Robbie Robertson, sent thoughts and prayers out to him from the stage of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony over the weekend.
Helm was first diagnosed with throat cancer in the late ’90s. He recovered, but for his first few years after that, he played drums in his performances, but didn’t sing. In 2004, he started singing again, albeit with a more hoarse voice. In recent years, Helm’s “Midnight Rambles” at his home in Woodstock, New York, have become a large draw both for music fans and musicians: he’s been joined on stage at his Rambles by Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris and Dr. John, among others.
– Brian Ives, CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- This Week In History: The Song That Trumped “Billie Jean,” “Come On Eileen”
- Jim Breuer Remembers The SNL Revival, Loving Show Business
- Jim Norton Has A Really Weird KISS Fantasy
- Prince, Warner Bros. Announce Partnership, ‘Purple Rain’ Reissue
- Watch the Trailer for ‘Jersey Boys’ Film Directed by Clint Eastwood
- This Orangutan Is Totally Chill After Being Shot, Rescued