Levon Helm In Final Stages Of Cancer
Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration… he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage… We appreciate all the love and support and concern.
From his daughter Amy, and wife Sandy
Helm’s former bandmate, Robbie Robertson, sent thoughts and prayers out to him from the stage of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony over the weekend.
Helm was first diagnosed with throat cancer in the late ’90s. He recovered, but for his first few years after that, he played drums in his performances, but didn’t sing. In 2004, he started singing again, albeit with a more hoarse voice. In recent years, Helm’s “Midnight Rambles” at his home in Woodstock, New York, have become a large draw both for music fans and musicians: he’s been joined on stage at his Rambles by Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris and Dr. John, among others.
– Brian Ives, CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Gene Simmons Defends the 1 Percent, Claims Half of Americans Pay No Taxes: ‘Try Being Nice to Rich People’
- Watch Eddie Vedder’s Poignant Cover of John Lennon’s ‘Imagine’
- Paul Shaffer Fills Us In On Tonight’s “MacArthur Park Night” On Letterman
- Watch Weird Al Take on Corporate Jargon, Crosby Stills & Nash with ‘Mission Statement’
- Stream ‘Hypnotic Eye,’ the New Album from Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
- Weird Al Gets An Email from the ‘Prince’ of Nigeria, Throws Up Next to Christian Slater in ‘Lame Claim to Fame’ Music Video: Watch