Cissy Houston Honors Whitney In NJ on Easter Sunday
On Easter Sunday, Cissy Houston, mother of Whitney Houston, filled the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, NJ with her friends, family and voice as she sang Whitney’s favorite song, “He Would Not Come Down,” during Easter services.
Weeks after Whitney’s funeral took place at the very church in which she grew up singing, Cissy, who had served as the minister of music at New Hope, was invited back to sing for the holiday–just as her daughter did on several occasions. During her thriving career, Whitney still managed to get back to her roots and sing at the church where she grew up.
It had been a tough week for Cissy, but she is on her way to being better. “I’m not myself yet,” she says. “But I know the Lord is working on me.”
“We’ve been through a lot, but we have so much to be grateful for at the same time,” said Pastor Joe Carter on the passing of New Hope regular, Whitney Houston.
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Will Ice Bucket Challenge Lead to Jon Bon Jovi/Richie Sambora Reunion?
- Show Your Belly To Support Eagle-Barrett Syndrome
- Is This Five Seconds of Kanye West’s Alleged Paul McCartney Collaboration?
- Motorcyclist Crashes, Flips Onto Car That Cut Him Off – TADA!
- Enter To Win: 1964 The Tribute at Westbury