Gregg Allman Misses Allman Brothers NYC Finale
Gregg Allman missed the final show of The Allman Brothers Band‘s 2012 “March Madness” residency at New York’s Beacon Theater. The Allmans have been doing NYC residencies, usually at the Beacon, for over twenty years.
The band – which also includes founding members/drummers Jaimoe and Butch Trucks, along with percussionist Marc Quinones, guitarist/singer Warren Haynes, guitarist Derek Trucks and bassist Oteil Burbridge – decided to perform Sunday night sans their leader and namesake. Allman had left the stage early in the second set the prior night, due to back pain caused by a bulging disc.
The decision to play the concert minus Allman on March 25 was reached at showtime. According to their website, “The band, not wanting to disappoint it’s loyal fans performed with numerous guest musicians joining
them in Gregg’s absence.” The guests included John Popper of Blues Traveller, Bruce Katz from Gregg Allman’s solo band, and drummer Anton Fig.
The Allmans are scheduled to headline the Wanee Festival in Live Oak, Florida on April 20 and 21. A statement from the band indicates that the band currently expect their frontman to be able to make the shows: “Gregg is returning to his home in Savannah for evaluation and treatment, his condition is currently day to day and he expects to meet all his confirmed obligations”
- Brian Ives CBS Local
Get more news on CBS-FM:
- David Bowie Announces 40th Anniversary ‘Diamond Dogs’ Picture Disc
- Watch Neil Young Cover ‘Needle of Death’ at Third Man Records
- Join The Breast Cancer Alliance ‘Walk For Hope’ This Sunday
- Russian Fire Department Gets Cat Out Of Tree In Rudest Way Possible
- Woman Confuses Gas And Brake Pedals, Drives Car Into Pool
- The US Government Regulates The Size Of Holes In Swiss Cheese