Gregg Allman Misses Allman Brothers NYC Finale
Gregg Allman missed the final show of The Allman Brothers Band‘s 2012 “March Madness” residency at New York’s Beacon Theater. The Allmans have been doing NYC residencies, usually at the Beacon, for over twenty years.
The band – which also includes founding members/drummers Jaimoe and Butch Trucks, along with percussionist Marc Quinones, guitarist/singer Warren Haynes, guitarist Derek Trucks and bassist Oteil Burbridge – decided to perform Sunday night sans their leader and namesake. Allman had left the stage early in the second set the prior night, due to back pain caused by a bulging disc.
The decision to play the concert minus Allman on March 25 was reached at showtime. According to their website, “The band, not wanting to disappoint it’s loyal fans performed with numerous guest musicians joining
them in Gregg’s absence.” The guests included John Popper of Blues Traveller, Bruce Katz from Gregg Allman’s solo band, and drummer Anton Fig.
The Allmans are scheduled to headline the Wanee Festival in Live Oak, Florida on April 20 and 21. A statement from the band indicates that the band currently expect their frontman to be able to make the shows: “Gregg is returning to his home in Savannah for evaluation and treatment, his condition is currently day to day and he expects to meet all his confirmed obligations”
– Brian Ives CBS Local
Get more news on CBS-FM:
- This Week In History: The Beatles, Jean Knight & Heart
- Katherine Heigl and Alexis Bledel Star in Lesbian Love Story ‘Jenny’s Wedding': Watch
- You Will be Watching Music Videos Through Facebook Very Soon
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Join Brian Wilson on Stage in New Jersey
- The New ‘Wet Hot American Summer’ Series Looks Funny and Very Twisted: Watch the Trailer
- Say Hello To Quasi Modo, the World’s Ugliest Dog