Just this weekend, fans found out that R&B singer Bobby Womack has been diagnosed with colon cancer and is battling a bout of pneumonia in the hospital, according to his friend and fellow funky legend Bootsy Collins. Now Womack’s publicist has released a statement to the Associated Press saying that the 68-year-old singer has been released from the hospital following treatment for pneumonia.
His rep noted that Womack is scheduled to undergo surgery at a later time, and that he appreciates the love and prayers from fans — whom he says he will see when he tours in support of his upcoming album, The Bravest Man In The Universe.
On Saturday (March 24), Bootsy Collins posted to his Facebook page: “Funkateers, send prayers and love vibes up for Bobby Womack. He is fighting pneumonia in the hospital now. Will update after I talk to him. Thx u all.” On Sunday (March 25), Collins followed up with another post, saying, “I just spoke to our friend Bobby Womack. He wanted you all to know that he loves you and thanks for the prayers. Docs says he is in the first stage of colon cancer, he is very upbeat about his future, we laughed and joked before we hung up. Thanks funkateers, we will get him ‘back on the one!'”
Womack, who’s known for his ’70s hits “Lookin’ For a Love,” and “That’s the Way I Feel About Cha,” was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2009. That marked something of a revival in interest in his music: in 2010, he sang on “Stylo,” a single from animated act Gorillaz, which is led by Damon Albarn of ’90s Britpop band Blur. Albarn also produced Womack’s upcoming album, The Bravest Man In The Universe, to be released June 12 on XL Recordings. Womack was in good enough health to perform live with Gorillaz in 2010.
–Jillian Mapes, CBS Local
Get more news on CBS-FM:
- Chainsmokers, Keith Urban, Aerosmith to Play NCAA March Madness Music Festival
- ‘Grateful Dead Movie’ to Return to Theaters April 20
- 5 Costly Songwriting Similarities
- David Bowie Sculpture Prognosis: Not Good
- This Watch Features David Bowie’s Face and Style
- The Beatles’ Hometown Plots ‘Sgt. Pepper’s’ 50th Anniversary Celebration
- The Deed’s Sidney Torres Talks House Flipping, Real Estate and Lenny Kravitz
- Paris Jackson: Alice Cooper is a ‘Total Bae’
- Blondie Release ‘Long Time’ Written by Dev Hynes of Blood Orange
- Listen to Chuck Berry’s Posthumous ‘Big Boys’ from New Album ‘Chuck’