Bruce Springsteen‘s seventeenth studio album has just given him his tenth number one on the Billboard charts. Wrecking Ball narrowly dethroned Adele‘s 21, which spent the previous twenty-three weeks at the top.
According to Nielsen SoundScan, Wrecking Ball tallied 196,000 sold in its first week, just edging out the Brit’s sophomore release, which sold 195,000. Adele’s twenty-three weeks at the top of the Billboard charts is second only to Prince‘s Purple Rain soundtrack, which spent twenty-four weeks at number one in 1984/1985. Her consistently strong sales over the last several months could help her reach the top again and tie the record next week.
For Bruce, Wrecking Ball becomes his tenth number one album, ranking him third behind Jay-Z (with 12) and The Beatles (19). The Boss’ last effort to reach the top was 2009’s Working on a Dream, which sold 224,000 in its first week. Springsteen’s first number one was in 1980 with The River.
The Top 10 of Billboard’s Top 200 Chart:
1. Bruce Springsteen, Wrecking Ball *new
2. Adele, 21
3. Various, Now 41
4. Lady Antebellum, Own The Night
5. Whitney Houston, The Bodyguard
6. Coldplay, Mylo Xyloto
7. Drake, Take Care
8. Lil Wayne, Tha Carter IV
9. Luke Bryan, Spring Break 4 — Suntan City *new
10. Andrew Bird, Break It Yourself *new
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Win Tickets To Studio 54 Night At Resorts World Casino
- Toni Braxton Wears Heart Monitor on Stage
- ZZ Top Announce 2017 Tonnage Tour
- Boy George, Pet Shop Boys, More Pay Tribute to Late Dead or Alive Singer
- CBS-FM’s Holiday In Brooklyn | James Taylor, Jimmy Buffett & Sarah McLachlan
- 1960s Pop Idol Bobby Vee Dead at 73