RIP Billy Strange–Arranger, Guitarist And Collaborator On “These Boots Are Made For Walking”
You may not know the name [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Billy Strange[/lastfm], but chances are you’ve heard his music.
From his work playing on and helping arrange the Nancy Sinatra/Lee Hazlewood hit “These Boots Are Made for Walking,” to the Nancy and Frank Sinatra duet “Something Stupid,” to songs by Elvis Presley, Dean Martin, and Willie Nelson, Strange has certainly left his mark.
Billy Strange passed away Wednesday, Feb. 22 at his home in Nashville. He was 81.
My dear friend, the legendary guitarist/arranger Billy Strange passed away this morning in Nashville. My heart is shattered.—
Nancy Sinatra (@NancySinatra) February 22, 2012
Born and raised in Long Beach, California, Strange picked up musical influences from, among other sources, performing on radio with his parents, and traveling the honky-tonk circuit as a teenager.
He also worked worked in the rodeo, as a truck driver and as a stunt man before settling into music. Early gigs included performing with such legends as Spade Cooley, Roy Rogers, Count Basie, and the amazing guitar duo of Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant.
As a writer, Strange penned “A Little Less Conversation” and “Memories.” He also wrote Chubby Checker’s hit, “Limbo Rock.” As a player, he became a member of the legendary L.A.-based session players the Wrecking Crew. Artists he played with included the Beach Boys, the Everly Brothers, Randy Newman, Willie Nelson, and Nat King Cole.
He also released a series of solo recordings, which veer between playful and haunting–and cross frequently between pop, rock and country–but are always masterful.
Here’s his own (mostly) instrumental take on “Boots”:
Below you can watch Billy Strange accompanying Nancy Sinatra on a knockout, low-key version of her hit “Bang Bang”:
And hear Billy talk about writing the Elvis hit “A Little Less Conversation” in an outtake from the Wrecking Crew documentary:
Latest News from WCBSFM.com >
- Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett To Release Jazz Duets Album ‘Cheek to Cheek’ This Fall
- Sleepwalking Dog “Bizkit” Wakes Up, Catches Wall Not Cat
- Ladies and Gentlemen: This Is How NOT To React When Your Car Gets Repossessed
- Tom Petty Slams EDM Culture and Electric Daisy Carnival: ‘Watch People Play Records? That’s Stupid’
- Paul McCartney Sets Wings’ ‘Venus and Mars’ and ‘At the Speed of Sound’ Reissue Dates
- Beastie Boys ‘Paul’s Boutique’ Mural Unveiled in New York City
- Aretha Franklin, Johnny Rockets Employee Have Beef, Singer Ordered Not to Sit Inside Restaurant
- Susan Sarandon Spills Secrets About Affair With David Bowie
- Jon Bon Jovi Wants The Bills To Stay In Buffalo; Will Perform Benefit Show For Parker Family Clinic
- KC & The Sunshine Band Performing At CBS-FM’s Saturday In The Park – August 23