Video Classics: ‘Touch of Grey’ – The Grateful Dead
When Video Classics first began to run, we picked songs exclusively from New York City station WNEW’s 1991 and 1996 Firecracker 500, a list of the greatest rock songs of all time. While the list has become a bit dated, and this feature has since moved on, sometimes we like to refer back to the old list, particularly in the case of rather curious listings like this one.
“Touch of Grey” by the Grateful Dead hit #90 in the 1991 list before plummeting to #451 in 1996, one of the biggest drops in Firecracker 500 history. What was behind the sudden falling out of favor? Maybe it was because, unlike many Dead songs on the list, that had been circulating for decades, “Touch of Grey” was released in 1987, thus it was still “new enough” in 1991.
Perhaps by 1996, it had faded to more of a proper place and brilliance in the constellation of Grateful Dead tunes. Still, it deserves some mention, because as Wikipedia tells us…
First performed in 1982, ["Touch of Grey"] was finally released on In the Dark in 1987, and went to the top 10 on Billboard’s Hot 100, the only song by the band ever to do so… Its video gained major airplay on MTV and featured a live performance of the band, first shown to be life-sized skeleton marionettes dressed as the band then as themselves. The video’s popularity helped introduce the Grateful Dead to a new generation of fans, resulting in the Grateful Dead gaining mainstream attention after years of existing on the fringes of the music scene.
Having watched the video, the Archivist can’t decide if it’s really campy, or really spooky. Why don’t you tell us in the comments section?
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Multiple Major Labels Sue Pandora Over Classic Hits
- John Lennon And Yoko Ono Perfectly Describe Love In Animated Interview
- Pearl Jam, Lorde, Eminem & OutKast to Headline Austin City Limits Music Festival
- This Drone Brings You Closer To A Fireworks Display Than Ever Before
- NASA Wants You To Kill Trees And Snap A #GlobalSelfie For Earth Day
- Stowaway Teen Flies To Hawaii Clinging To Landing Gear After Breaching A Fence At San Jose Airport
- Listen: Prince’s Surprise New Single ‘The Breakdown’
- You Won’t Believe What This Magician Is Capable Of On ‘Britain’s Got Talent’
- Air Canada Baggage Handler Lets Gravity Do His Job For Him So He Doesn’t Have To
- Genius Ape Lights Fires, Roasts Marshmallows, And Flips Burgers