The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has expanded the Class of 2012, including six groups which were voted on by a special committee.
The Crickets, the Comets, the Miracles, the Blue Caps, the Famous Flames and the Midnighters will join the previously included members of the class at the ceremony on on April 14th in Cleveland.
The decision was made by a special committee to include the bands that already had their lead singers enshrined.
The Crickets backed Buddy Holly for some time in the 1950s, with their first hit record “That’ll Be the Day” being released in 1957. They have continued to record music after his death and into the 21st century.
“It’s a real honor to take our place among all those great rock and rollers,” said guitarist Sonny Curtis.
The other inductees who will now join their former lead singers are The Comets (performed with Bill Haley), the Miracles (Smokey Robinson’s group), the Famous Flames (backed James Brown), the Midnighters (Hank Ballard), and the Blue Caps (played with Gene Vincent).
“There had always been conversations about why the groups weren’t included when the lead singers were inducted,” stated Tony Stewart, CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
The six additional bands will join [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Beastie Boys[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Donovan[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Guns N’ Roses[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Laura Nyro[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Red Hot Chili Peppers[/lastfm] and [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Small Faces[/lastfm]/[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]The Faces[/lastfm] in the Class of 2012.
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Gene Simmons and Ace Frehley Reunite for Hurricane Relief Fundraiser
- Yoko Ono Sues Lemonade Company for Trademark Infringement
- Bruce Springsteen Releases ’78 Show for MusiCares Hurricane Relief Fund
- Bob Dylan Announces ‘Gospel Years’ Bootleg Box Set
- Win Tickets To See The Charlie Daniels Band At St. George Theater
- Arcade Fire Cover John Lennon’s ‘Mind Games’
- New Order & Former Bassist Peter Hook Reach Legal Settlement
- Bobby Moynihan’s ‘Defining Moments’ Are on Display in ‘Me, Myself & I’
- Listen to Morrissey’s New Single ‘Spent The Day In Bed’
- Leonard Cohen’s ‘Leaving the Table’ Gets Animated Video