Rock Flashback: Suzi Quatro
Although Suzi Quatro was from Detroit, she was never as big a star in the States as she was in the UK, where for a stretch of the 1970s, her records were guaranteed hits. Her American career didn’t really take off until she was cast on one of the most popular shows on TV.
Quatro started hitting in Britain during the glam-rock era. “Can the Can” hit #1 in the UK in 1973; “Devil Gate Drive” would ascend the summit the next year. “Can the Can” was a minor hit in the States (although not until 1976), but “Devil Gate Drive” was both too retro and too rockin’ to cross over to the American charts of 1974. Quatro’s other hits, such as “Daytona Demon” and “48 Crash,” were what their titles implied — straight-up no-frills rock ‘n’ roll, made alluring by Quatro’s bad-girl looks.
In 1977, Quatro was cast as rock singer Leather Tuscadero on the TV series Happy Days. She appeared in only seven episodes, but the exposure gave her career a boost.
She scored her first big American hit in 1979, but “Stumblin’ In,” a duet with [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Chris Norman[/lastfm] of the group [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Smokie[/lastfm], was a tepid pop song that did not remotely hint at the fireball Quatro had once been in the UK. None of the four singles that followed was able to break into the American Top 40, however the last one appeared in 1981.
Recently, Suzi Quatro has been hosting a classic rock show on BBC Radio, and she still performs in Europe. Last fall, she released an album of new material called In the Spotlight.
Here’s “Can the Can,” performed on Top of the Pops in 1973.
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Pink Floyd Reveal ‘The Endless River’ Album Cover
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s Paul O’Neill Talks “The Christmas Attic” Re-Release and Tour
- Win Tickets To #WCS In LA
- High School Footballer Apollos Hester’s Words of Inspiration
- Randy Couture Fills Us In on Dancing With The Stars Experience
- See Neil Diamond Perform Live In Brooklyn
- Enter To Win: Stevie Wonder at The Garden
- Enter to Win: Bryan Adams @ The Theater at MSG
- Stream John Mellencamp’s New Album, ‘Plain Spoken’
- David Bowie Producer: New Album Coming ‘Soon’