Newt Gingrich Sued by Survivor for Using ‘Eye of the Tiger’
Politicians receiving a snub or a lawsuit from musicians for using their songs isn’t an uncommon occurrence. In fact, we made light of some notable instances in the past.
The latest to feel the wrath from the long arm of the copyright law is Presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich. “Man on the Moon” Newt (Seriously. Use R.E.M.’s “Man on the Moon.” It will work perfectly with your space colony idea) has been blasting Survivor‘s “Eye of the Tiger” when sprinting up the seventy-two stone steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art…
Gingrich has been playing the uber-inspiring anthem of the underdog at his rallies, and some members of Survivor aren’t taking kindly to the fact that their pockets aren’t being lined with green in the process.
“My legacy, my life, has been ‘Eye of the Tiger,'” Frankie Sullivan told the Chicago Sun-Times. “Those copyright laws are there to protect people like me who are lucky enough to create a copyright. ‘Eye of the Tiger’ is an iconic copyright. It’s become a lifelong legacy, something you want to pass down to your kids.”
Sullivan claims the suit has nothing to do with politics. But if Newt wants to use it, he’s going to have to pay up.
Sullivan is the only member pursuing the lawsuit. Jim Peterik, Sullivan’s one-time songwriting partner and co-wroter of the motivational jam is completely disinterested.
“I hate suits,” Peterik said. “I hate being in court. I avoid that meticulously.”
Listen to “Survivor” right now. You won’t get sued.
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Bono, Liam Neeson Have Been Screenwriting a Film Together
- Chrissie Hynde on Too Much Sex Appeal in Pop: ‘Maybe They Should Just Be Making Porn Films’
- Rolling Stones to Release Live Albums from 1975, 1981
- Sharon Osbourne Says U2 Gave Away ‘Mediocre Music’ for Free Because ‘No One Wants to Buy It’
- Alice Cooper, Joan Jett, Billie Joe Armstrong Join Forces for Little Kids Rock Benefit
- Interview: Mike Rutherford Looks Back on Genesis, Ahead to Mike + The Mechanics
- Bruce Springsteen to Perform Stand Up Comedy Set at Stand Up for Heroes
- Ranking Every Studio Album By The Beatles From Worst To Best
- Brad Blanks Learns How To Party with Rapper 2 Chainz
- Patti LaBelle Allegedly Ordered Bodyguard to Beat Cadet, Who Now Says He Suffered Brain Damage in Incident