One-Hit Wonders: Kajagoogoo And “Too Shy”
With a name like Kajagoogoo, it had to be good. At least once, anyway.
Yes, it’s true that Kajagoogoo had a string of Top-25 hits in the UK (and was popular in Germany and the Netherlands for the better part of two years). But in the US, they were a bona fide one hit wonder, their lone charting song being “Too Shy.”
Released in January 1983, the song was produced by Colin Thurston and Nick Rhodes (of Duran Duran) for the band’s White Feathers LP. Thanks to heavy rotation on MTV, the song managed to climb all the way to #5 by July that same year.
Posthumously, the song was voted as one of the 100 Greatest Songs of the ’80s by VH-1, is also on their Top 100 One-Hit Wonders list and has appeared in Grand Theft Auto and the Sims.
The band’s name, by the way, is a variation on the a babies first words — gaga, googoo — or, in the case of my kid, “please pass the Tabasco.”
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Interview: Behind the Scenes of the New David Bowie Film with Director Hamish Hamilton
- Yusuf / Cat Stevens Announces New Album ‘Tell ‘Em I’m Gone,’ Debuts ‘Living to Die': Listen
- Lindsay Lohan Says She Wheeled Whitney Houston’s Corpse Into the Morgue
- Watch U2 Make ‘Songs of Innocence’ in Behind-the-Scenes Footage
- Billy Idol Debuts New Single ‘Can’t Break Me Down': Listen
- Gene Simmons to Preside Over Wannabe Rock Bands in New Reality/Competition Show ‘Coliseum’