With a name like Kajagoogoo, it had to be good. At least once, anyway.
Yes, it’s true that Kajagoogoo had a string of Top-25 hits in the UK (and was popular in Germany and the Netherlands for the better part of two years). But in the US, they were a bona fide one hit wonder, their lone charting song being “Too Shy.”
Released in January 1983, the song was produced by Colin Thurston and Nick Rhodes (of Duran Duran) for the band’s White Feathers LP. Thanks to heavy rotation on MTV, the song managed to climb all the way to #5 by July that same year.
Posthumously, the song was voted as one of the 100 Greatest Songs of the ’80s by VH-1, is also on their Top 100 One-Hit Wonders list and has appeared in Grand Theft Auto and the Sims.
The band’s name, by the way, is a variation on the a babies first words — gaga, googoo — or, in the case of my kid, “please pass the Tabasco.”
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Pink Floyd Recording Console Just Sold for $$$
- Prince’s ‘Sign O The Times’ 30 Years Later: A Look Back at His Magnum Opus
- Bob Dylan Will Finally Accept His Nobel Prize for Literature
- Lenny Kravitz to Perform Prince Tribute, Pharrell Williams to Induct Nile Rodgers at Rock Hall Celebration
- Win Tickets To See Def Leppard At The New Coliseum
- Paris and Prince Jackson Get Complimentary Tattoos