Though they had a string of hits in the UK over the course of more than fifteen years, Big Country found only one hit in the US… and we all know which one that is.
“In a Big Country” was the third single by Big Country released by Mercury Records in the US. Taken from their debut album, The Crossing, the song was the collaboration of band members Stuart Adamson, Mark Brzezicki, Tony Butler and Bruce Watson and produced by U2 knob-turner Steve Lillywhite.
Released in May 1983, the song made a slow, steady 6-month climb up the charts, peaking at #17 on the pop chart in December (and #3 on the rock charts).
Unlike many One-Hit Wonders who like to believe otherwise, frontman Stuart Adamson is quite alright fitting into that category. “If we’re known for nothing more than just that one song,” he told VH-1, “I’d be pretty happy with that.”
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- ‘China Test Girls’ Starring Danny Trejo, Gets Soundtrack by Yoko Ono
- Former Van Halen Manager Tells All in Book About Band’s Early Days
- Brian May Says Freddie Mercury Lost Most of Foot During AIDS Battle
- Win Passes To An Advanced Screening Of ‘The Mummy’
- Cher Performs, Accepts Icon Award at 2017 Billboard Music Awards
- Chris Cornell Burial Details Emerge, Former Bandmates Comment about Late Frontman