One-Hit Wonders: Big Country and “In A Big Country”
Though they had a string of hits in the UK over the course of more than fifteen years, Big Country found only one hit in the US… and we all know which one that is.
“In a Big Country” was the third single by Big Country released by Mercury Records in the US. Taken from their debut album, The Crossing, the song was the collaboration of band members Stuart Adamson, Mark Brzezicki, Tony Butler and Bruce Watson and produced by U2 knob-turner Steve Lillywhite.
Released in May 1983, the song made a slow, steady 6-month climb up the charts, peaking at #17 on the pop chart in December (and #3 on the rock charts).
Unlike many One-Hit Wonders who like to believe otherwise, frontman Stuart Adamson is quite alright fitting into that category. “If we’re known for nothing more than just that one song,” he told VH-1, “I’d be pretty happy with that.”
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Win Dinner Aboard Spirit Cruises
- The Persuasions Say Jamie xx Didn’t Ask to Use Sample on New Song, Later Denied
- U2 Worried Their Tour Was Already Over When The Edge Fell Off the Stage
- Jon Bon Jovi Wrote a Song for Rutgers Grads: Watch
- Bill Murray Will Wish You a ‘Very Murray Christmas’ This December
- CBS-FM’s Top 500 Memorial Day Weekend Countdown