Listen up folks, some rumors are worth the spreadin’!
Especially this tasty morsel about the iconic music club CBGB reopening, which closed on October 15, 2006 after lengthy disputes over back rent between owner Hilly Kristal and the Bowery Residents’ Committee.
We happen to know a guy (Gothamist) who has inside info from another guy (Don’t know ‘em) that there are plans to reopen CBGB in a new space somewhere in Manhattan, not 315 Bowery at Bleecker Street, where the club resided for over thirty years.
Don’t cry “BLASPHEMY!” just yet. Nearly every poster, chair, table, and screw that was scattered throughout the club is currently in storage in a 3,000-square-foot space in Williamsburg, which makes replicating the original venue pretty easy.
The bar is even being held in a trailer in Connecticut, so that piece of gum you stuck under it in ’78 when you went to see The Police could still be there.
The bar would obviously be under new ownership, since Hilly Kristal passed away on August 28, 2007 from complications of lung cancer at the age of seventy-five.
Will reopening CBGB in another location fill the void left by its closing?
Let us know in the comments section below!
While you mull that over, watch this clip of Talking Heads performing “Psycho Killer” at CBGB!
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- This Week In History: The Mamas And The Papas Plus A Double Dose From The ’70s & ’80s
- Joe Causi’s Top 5 Movies From The 1980s
- George Michael Injured In Car Crash
- Make It So: A ‘Star Trek’ Playlist
- Study Shows ‘Fat Talkers’ Not Popular In Social Circles
- Mr. G’s Cloudy But Mostly Dry Weekend Forecast
- Vote: Michael Jackson’s Greatest Songs of All Time
- Premiere: John Fogerty Lyric Video for ‘Mystic River’
- Jerry Cantrell On Heart: “They’ve Influenced A Whole Generation”
- Highlights From The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony