Artist beefs are commonplace among the rap generation, but they took on a whole new dimension the other night at the 2012 Golden Globes as pop royalty Sir Elton John and Madonna joined the ranks of battling celebs on the Golden Globes red carpet.
It all started with comments made by Elton during his interview with Carson Daly. Both Elton and Madge had songs up for Best Original Song from a Motion Picture (Elton with Hello Hello from Gnomeo and Juliet and Madonna with Masterpiece from W.E.). When Daly asked Elton about the nominees in the category, he responded, “Madonna doesn’t have a f…ing chance.” The comment was quickly censored.
When Daly later brought up Elton‘s comments to Madonna, she first asked if he were wearing a dress and then said, “Oh damn him, those are fighting words, those are fighting words. May the best man win.”
And it wasn’t the man who won, but the woman, with Madonna taking the prize for Masterpiece. As she accepted the award the cameras cut to Elton John, who didn’t look pleased with the win. At the same time, Elton‘s husband, David Furnish, took to Facebook to post “Madonna. Best song???? F— off!!!” according to Us Weekly.
And of course the whole affair took on an added element of intrigue given the fact that Elton‘s song was a duet with [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Lady Gaga[/lastfm], whom Madonna some choice comments about all through the week.
Take a listen to both of the competing songs on the next page.
So we ask you…between Hello Hello and Masterpiece, which song do YOU think should have won? Leave your votes in the comment section below.
The Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Was Prince a Hip-Hop Pioneer? Questlove Makes the Case
- Neil Young Dukes it Out with Explosive Ear of Corn
- Win Tickets For Rick Springfield At The Amphitheater At Coney Island Boardwalk
- The Beach Boys Announce Summer Tour Dates
- Cyndi Lauper Performs ‘When You Were Mine’ for Prince
- Duncan Jones Says ‘Goodbye’ to Father David Bowie
- Robert Plant Goes to Court Instead of Festival
- CFDA Fashion Awards to Honor David Bowie
- Bruce Springsteen Gives Coat to Underdressed Adele
- Paul McCartney Releases Virtual Reality Series