It’s common pop knowledge that [mp3com-artist]Lady Gaga[/mp3com-artist] goes out of her way to distance herself from Madonna. The little monsters’ ringleader has reportedly gone as far as firing her choreographer/creative director over making a verbal comparison of the two. Madonna on the other hands seems to go out of her way to compare herself to Gaga.
This week, according to Glamour, Madonna reveals on the BBC’s Graham Norton Show that she feels a connection to Gaga saying “When I first saw her I was really impressed by her. She was cool. She did remind me of me back in the day.”
In an interview with Newsweek Madonna compared “Express Yourself” to “Born This Way” saying “I thought, this is a wonderful way to redo my song. I mean, I recognized the chord changes. I thought it was . . . interesting.”
Ouch, talk about layering on the passive-aggressive compliments!
Regardless, music builds on music with one generation laying the tracks for the next. Their personae and stage acts are by design and being somewhat formulaic similarities are bound to exist. You can’t really blame Gaga, a young and still rising star for not wanting to compare herself to the somewhat pigeon-holed “former Queen of Pop” but you also can’t blame Madonna for wanting to associate herself with an insanely popular pop phenomenon with a shared fan base.
What do you think?
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- GRAMMY Nominations: 7 Bizarre Matchups
- Win Passes For Lucasfilms’ ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ Advanced Screening
- Place Your Bids: Sotheby’s ‘Rock & Roll Anthology’ Gallery Auction
- David Bowie Concert Celebration Set for New York City
- Jay-Z Tried to Manage Prince’s Catalog Following His Death
- Weird Texts from Cyndi Lauper: ‘Hey Jewel, Do You Yodel?’
- Blythedale 2016: Featuring Rob Thomas, Sal Valentinetti, Jax & More
- Stevie Nicks Adds Dates to ’24 Karat Gold’ Tour
- Madonna Expresses ‘Heartbreak’ & ‘Betrayal’ Over President-Elect Trump
- Watch Madonna Twerk in ‘Carpool Karaoke’ Teaser