It’s common pop knowledge that [mp3com-artist]Lady Gaga[/mp3com-artist] goes out of her way to distance herself from Madonna. The little monsters’ ringleader has reportedly gone as far as firing her choreographer/creative director over making a verbal comparison of the two. Madonna on the other hands seems to go out of her way to compare herself to Gaga.
This week, according to Glamour, Madonna reveals on the BBC’s Graham Norton Show that she feels a connection to Gaga saying “When I first saw her I was really impressed by her. She was cool. She did remind me of me back in the day.”
In an interview with Newsweek Madonna compared “Express Yourself” to “Born This Way” saying “I thought, this is a wonderful way to redo my song. I mean, I recognized the chord changes. I thought it was . . . interesting.”
Ouch, talk about layering on the passive-aggressive compliments!
Regardless, music builds on music with one generation laying the tracks for the next. Their personae and stage acts are by design and being somewhat formulaic similarities are bound to exist. You can’t really blame Gaga, a young and still rising star for not wanting to compare herself to the somewhat pigeon-holed “former Queen of Pop” but you also can’t blame Madonna for wanting to associate herself with an insanely popular pop phenomenon with a shared fan base.
What do you think?
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Macy Gray Covers Metallica’s ‘Nothing Else Matters’
- Bruce Springsteen Plays Four Hour Concert in NJ
- Watch Britney Spears Go For a Ride in ‘Carpool Karaoke’
- Listen: Led Zeppelin’s Previously Unreleased Song ‘Sunshine Woman’
- Ted Nugent May Run for President
- Clinton vs Trump: The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election In Playlists
- ‘Stranger Things’ Actress Millie Bobby Brown Channels Amy Winehouse
- Nickelback Covered a Don Henley Song
- Not Fade Away: Boston’s Self-Titled Debut Turns 40
- KISS to Launch New Comic Book Series