Madonna’s Backhanded Compliment to Lady Gaga
It’s common pop knowledge that [mp3com-artist]Lady Gaga[/mp3com-artist] goes out of her way to distance herself from Madonna. The little monsters’ ringleader has reportedly gone as far as firing her choreographer/creative director over making a verbal comparison of the two. Madonna on the other hands seems to go out of her way to compare herself to Gaga.
This week, according to Glamour, Madonna reveals on the BBC’s Graham Norton Show that she feels a connection to Gaga saying “When I first saw her I was really impressed by her. She was cool. She did remind me of me back in the day.”
In an interview with Newsweek Madonna compared “Express Yourself” to “Born This Way” saying “I thought, this is a wonderful way to redo my song. I mean, I recognized the chord changes. I thought it was . . . interesting.”
Ouch, talk about layering on the passive-aggressive compliments!
Regardless, music builds on music with one generation laying the tracks for the next. Their personae and stage acts are by design and being somewhat formulaic similarities are bound to exist. You can’t really blame Gaga, a young and still rising star for not wanting to compare herself to the somewhat pigeon-holed “former Queen of Pop” but you also can’t blame Madonna for wanting to associate herself with an insanely popular pop phenomenon with a shared fan base.
What do you think?
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Tom Petty Addresses ‘That Sam Smith Thing,’ Laments That News Picked Up the Story
- Today’s Weather Forecast with John Elliott: January 30, 2015
- Win Tickets To See RAIN: A Tribute To The Beatles
- Win Tickets To See Spandau Ballet In Concert
- Ringo Starr Announces New Album ‘Postcards from Paradise’
- Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga, the Band Perry, John Legend Added to Stevie Wonder GRAMMY Tribute
- Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath: Geezer Butler Arrested for Death Valley Bar Fight
- Brian Wilson’s New Album to Feature Zooey Deschanel, Kacey Musgraves, fun.’s Nate Ruess
- Lena Dunham Engaged? Not Until Gay Marriage Is Legal in Every State
- Tim McGraw to Perform Glen Campbell’s ‘I’m Not Gonna Miss You’ at Oscars