Happy Birthday, George Martin
[lastfm link_type="artist_info"]George Martin[/lastfm], retired producer for The Beatles, celebrates his 86th birthday today!
It was 1962 when Brian Epstein, manager for[lastfm link_type="artist_info"]The Beatles[/lastfm], then unknowns, brought a demo of the band to producer George Martin. Martin liked them, but wasn’t crazy about their drummer,[lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Pete Best[/lastfm]. When the band heard this, they replace Best with the drummer that had been his “fill-in” at gigs, [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Ringo Starr[/lastfm].
On The Beatles’ first single, “Love Me Do,” that’s not even Ringo playing. They used a studio drummer, because Martin didn’t even have time to audition Ringo before cutting the record. But that was the last time you didn’t hear Ringo on a Beatle record. Martin really liked Ringo’s “super-steady beat” and the sound it gave the records.
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Ladies and Gentlemen: This Is How NOT To React When Your Car Gets Repossessed
- Tom Petty Slams EDM Culture and Electric Daisy Carnival: ‘Watch People Play Records? That’s Stupid’
- Paul McCartney Sets Wings’ ‘Venus and Mars’ and ‘At the Speed of Sound’ Reissue Dates
- Beastie Boys ‘Paul’s Boutique’ Mural Unveiled in New York City
- Aretha Franklin, Johnny Rockets Employee Have Beef, Singer Ordered Not to Sit Inside Restaurant