Happy Birthday, George Martin
[lastfm link_type="artist_info"]George Martin[/lastfm], retired producer for The Beatles, celebrates his 86th birthday today!
It was 1962 when Brian Epstein, manager for[lastfm link_type="artist_info"]The Beatles[/lastfm], then unknowns, brought a demo of the band to producer George Martin. Martin liked them, but wasn’t crazy about their drummer,[lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Pete Best[/lastfm]. When the band heard this, they replace Best with the drummer that had been his “fill-in” at gigs, [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Ringo Starr[/lastfm].
On The Beatles’ first single, “Love Me Do,” that’s not even Ringo playing. They used a studio drummer, because Martin didn’t even have time to audition Ringo before cutting the record. But that was the last time you didn’t hear Ringo on a Beatle record. Martin really liked Ringo’s “super-steady beat” and the sound it gave the records.
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Multiple Major Labels Sue Pandora Over Classic Hits
- John Lennon And Yoko Ono Perfectly Describe Love In Animated Interview
- Pearl Jam, Lorde, Eminem & OutKast to Headline Austin City Limits Music Festival
- This Drone Brings You Closer To A Fireworks Display Than Ever Before
- NASA Wants You To Kill Trees And Snap A #GlobalSelfie For Earth Day