General Hospital Being Cancelled For A Katie Couric Talk Show?

103971260 e1304677665288 General Hospital Being Cancelled For A Katie Couric Talk Show?

(Photo by Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images for DATG)

Sonny and Brenda, say it ain’t so!

There’s more bad news for you soap fans, Katie Couric’s potential new ABC talk show may force the cancellation of “General Hospital.

UPDATE: GH will NOT be cancelled…for now. Get the details HERE

So many trusted sources like TV Guide and TMZ are reporting this, and saying Couric is close to signing a $20 million deal with ABC. The deal would include work on ABC News and ’20/20′ specials, fill-in anchoring gigs and a syndicated one-hour talk show.

The show would debut September 2012 and ABC is considering giving the hour of programming space “General Hospital” now has back to its affiliates.

“General Hospital” is the third-longest-running soap on the air, and after January 2012, and if it survives it would be the only soap on ABC.

Once everything is set, Couric would most likely be at the 3pm time slot, trying for Oprah’s viewers.

1. Jenelle Espen says:

We don’t nee3d Katie Couric in the 3:00pm time slot. Please leave General Hospital alone. I have been watching it since it came on the air in 1963.

2. beverly ummarino says:

Is ABC nuts? don’t they know that since katie couric took the helm at CBS evening news it became the lowest rated news broadcast? CBS can’t wait to hold the door open for her when she leaves and they;ll be sure to lock it up tight so she can’t come back. why ABC would want to give this tired, boring has been her own show is beyond me.. ABC is getting rid of all their daytime dramas and the will soon sink with the terrible line up that they have planned. I can tell you this. I will be turning off ABC

3. lovetosing says:

You are nuts ABC if you cancel General Hospital!!!! I will never watch Couric ever!

4. PATTI COOPER says:

HUGE MIstake. Many devoted fans will be upset over this. I hope they come to their senses and leave General Hospital alone. The fans love it and want it to stay as is. Listen to your audience once in awhile.

1. bring back all my children and one life to live cancel the chew and the revalson they are dum shows that will never make it but all my children and one life to live will make it if you give them another chance bring back our soaps please abctv 50000000000 that love our soaps dont pull the plug on all my children or one life to live give them a chance please abctv john and howard caylor and Loyal big fans of those shows

5. Loretta says:

I am already planning on not watching anything on ABC daytime during the timeslots that ‘All My Children’ and ‘One Life To Live’ are on and if they cancel ‘General Hospital’ and put Katy Couric on (whom I can’t stand and change the channel now everytime she comes on the evening news on CBS) I will never watch anything on ABC in the daytime, ever again. I have watched GH ever since I was 16, my grandmother got me to watching it, and I am now 57. Give us a break, already.There are enough talk shows and cooking shows!

6. carol says:

have the execs lost their minds…Katie Couric?/…..Leave GH alone…making a big mistake…boring, boring

7. Ruth says:

Doesn’t make sense. ABC can’t afford the soaps. But they
    can offer Catie 20 mil to do a stupid talk show? Put that 20 mil back in the soaps. Talk shows don’t last. Soaps have been around for more than 40 yrs. I’ve been watching since I was 8 and I’m 50 and still watching. My cell phone ringtone is the AMC theme.

8. connie pierce says:

please abc brian frons / katie i beg of you dont take our soaps away love always connie

9. Antoinette Lorello says:

ABC needs to save our Soaps. . . this is nuts. . . We dont need anymore talk shows!!! SAVE OUR SOAPS!!!!

10. Karna Johnsen says:

Are they for real? So this is the genius running ABC. A cooking show next to a weight loss show and following it with Katie Couric. Are they kidding? I don’t understand any of these networks. I know very few of us are sitting around at 3:00 these days — but I used to use the VCR, then came TIVO. I watch these guys faithfully.

But — they’ll do what they want. They could care less about their audience. Let’s hope they get what they deserve — really low ratings and Brian Frons fired.

11. maria says:

Please leave GH alone. been watching it for 20 years. ABC does not need another talk show.

12. jules says:

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Not to metion Oprah’s time slot was 4:00…

13. Sharon Kolenda says:

Please leave General Hospital alone. I have to intention of watching another talk show. ABC made a mistak of getting rid of All My Children, and One Life to Live, they should keep at least one soap. When will Abc learn that we have plenty of reality, and talk shows, People need some drama to escape to. Please ABC keep General Hosptal.

1. Sharon Kolenda says:

General Hospital will always be my faverate soap. I will never watch Katie couric if they put her on the air.

14. Judith says:

I hate talk shows and game shows. You will lose a lot of viewers who like soap operas

15. Gussie says:

I just heard about GH. If this is true,ABC is even dumber than I thought when the took AMC & OLTL off the air.I no longer watch abc news in the morning because all yoou see is the promotions for the rediculous chew and nauseating revolution.Stop shoving it down our throats! Katie Currack!!!More talk!!! Soon all there will be for us nightshift people to watch during the day will be talk,news,judge shows and circus talkshows(springer etc.) ABC is Stupid to ignore the viewers.Smarten up!!!!

16. Lisa Weiner says:

If General Hospital gets cancelled on ABC I promise not to bother watching Katie Couric’s show because General Hospital is my favorite soap opera of all times. It’s not that I don’t like Katie Couric it’s just I would much rather General Hospital be on ABC instead. Lisa Weiner