Mr. G.

One of New York’s most popular weathermen, Irv Gikofsky, better known as Mr. G, has been delivering the weather in the morning to WCBS-FM listeners since the mid ‘80’s.

Born in Brooklyn and raised in Queens,  Mr. G attended P.S. 201 and J.H.S. 281. He graduated from Francis Lewis High School and went to Hofstra University where he earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in History and then a Master of Arts Degree in Secondary Education.

Mr. G became a school teacher at Albert Einstein Intermediate School in The Bronx. While a teacher, he created the New York City School system’s first computerized weather programs for use by children and their teachers. After teaching in public school for a decade, Mr. G was recruited right out of the classroom to become a TV weatherman for Channel 2 News.

In 1993 Mr. G joined the CW11 News at Ten as the weekday weatherman and has won four Emmy Awards and an Edward R. Murrow Award.

As an ardent supporter of education, Mr. G is very involved in working with students. He has visited over 500 schools, usually stopping by a school a week and has participated in New York City’s “Principal For a Day” program since its inception.

When not forecasting the weather and bantering with Dan Taylor in the mornings, he can often be seen running in Central Park. Irv has run over 27 New York City Marathons and figures he’s run over 60,000 miles or three times around the planet.

1. Mary Shaw says:

HI Mr G
    we go back a long way too. I always enjoy you on the radio and tv, but no more snow ok? LOL you make me laugh every morning, good job!! Great knowing you too Happy Valentines day!!

2. DOM DIMATTINA says:

hi i think mr g is one of kind and i applaud him,when i listen to him and dan t in the morning i not only get to listen to great music but a good laugh at thier comments oh and the weather well his the man that mr g

3. April Bates says:

Mr G. Your the best . I plan my week by your forecast, and dress for the day by your forecast. I love listening to you and Dan in the morning and always watch you on wpix news . I tell everyone if you want an accurate forecast watch pix at 6:30 or at 10 pm.

4. Pete Tebar says:

Hi G: I would like to send you photos of yhe 2/24-2/26/2010 snow storm from my home at Rock Hill,NY (Sullivan County)
    I have over 24 inches of snow and snow drifts over 4 1/2 feet high. and the News states that Harriman or Roscoe,NY was the heaviest at 17.5 inches of snow, By the way, Thanks for giving me the weather and making me laugh for the past 29 years. You’re the Best!

5. Matt Shotkin says:

Where are you Mr. G?

6. Louise Tancredi says:

I would like to participate in the back pack program, but I was unable to get any of the locations for the drop off. could I just send you a check? I live in Westchester, are there any drop-off points there. Thank You,
    Louise Tancredi

7. Bernard Rosenzweig says:

Mr. G,
    My wife and I miss seeing you on the 11 pm news on channel 11.
    It just isn’t the same without you.

We also miss Kaity and Jim.

The three of you make a terrific team.